How to get your NIN with ease.
The Nigerian National Identification Number (NIN) is issued by National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). It is a set of eleven digit numbers assigned Nigerians and legal residents who are over 16 years old by the Government
During Enrolment,the following information is recorded.
- Demographic data
- ten (10) fingerprints,
- head-to-shoulder facial picture
- Digital signature
At the end of the process, 11 numbers are assigned to the individual at the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).
Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given or used by another person.
Minors are not issued with the National Identity cards until they attain the age of 16
At the completion of the enrolment process, applicant will be issued two (2) slips:
- (a) Transaction Slip
- (b) NIN Slip indicating completion of enrollment.
The NIN is set to be used for all transactions in Nigeria requiring identity verification so you’ll be using your NIN for
- obtaining your National e-ID card
- travel (international passport application & acquisition)
- opening personal bank accounts
- getting your driver’s license
- obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- payment of your taxes
- transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- access to welfare and other relevant services from the Nigerian Government
- transactions with social security implications
- land transactions subject to the Land Use Act
- any other transactions NIMC may so prescribe and list in the Federal Government Gazette
NIMC is currently engaged in harmonization and integration of data with various agencies across Nigeria.
How to Enrol for NIN
Walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National id Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff id card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff id card
- School ID Card private/Public
Where to enrol for NIN?
- Visit any NIMC Enrolment Centre. See List here https://www.nimc.gov.ng/nimc-enrolment-centres/
- Visit Zenith Bank centers tha offer the NIN service. See list. https://www.zenithbank.com/nin